Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Trixie Belden fan forums! :)

3 posters

Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN

GrammarShark
    Admin

Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN Empty Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN

Post  GrammarShark Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 am

chapter 1 ;; [by GG]
    I was emerging from the empty mine shaft of Jake Hurley when his ancient train rumbled to a stop before me. My disappointment could shatter all of the windows on the train, but instead it was Lori’s screams. I glared at her as she hopped up and down, pointing at my head.
    “Aw, it’s so cute!” Joe brought his fingers up to my hair, pulling something from it. Lori kept squealing as he tugged.
    “Okay, ow!” I groaned, trying to slap his hand away, but instead he grabbed it with his other hand. In a second, the release, and in his pinch was a wiggling lizard.
    “Hello, Spike!” Joe beamed at the reptile in his hands, spreading out one if it’s sticky hands—paws—er- claws. Ugh, what are those, anyways?
    “Must my brother always name animals the boring usual stuff?” Frank’s deep voice rolled over Joe’s shoulder, squinting at me. “Come on and sit in the dining car with us, Nancy.” I failed to notice his tone as I followed up the steps and into the sweltering train car.
    Lori kept a safe ten yards away from me as I plopped down on a seat across from Frank. Joe was already making a halter-leash for his lizard as Lori sighed, again.
    “So what did you find?” Frank pulled out a notebook and set it out in the middle of the table, blank. Joe ripped the sheet out and put it under ‘Spike’.
    “Ew, Joe! My notes are on the other side of that!” I smoothed my hair to make sure nothing else was in it and sat back in the chair. Frank, now exasperated, started madly through his notebook to find another blank sheet.
    “Fanny, I’ve GOT to talk to you!” Now, Lori grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of my chair, leaving it in the isle as she tugged me all the way to the next car, where she leaned in to my ear. I boredly waited to see what she wanted, hoping it wasn’t anything to do with Jake Hurley. Based on what I didn’t find today, I hoped she never remembered his name ever again.

chapter 2 ;; [by Kaitie]
    "Okay, okay, so you remember when you were like, going back and forth between me and Tino about our break-up and then you got him to apologize and then we got back together again?"
    I blinked and cautiously nodded, hoping I had understood her correctly.
    She was bobbing up and down excitedly, letting out small squeals every now and then. "Well, thanks to you, Francie, look!"
    She stuck out her right hand and stared eagerly at me, expecting me to say something. But it looked completely normal.
    She glanced down for a second. "Oh, yeah." She switched out her hands and displayed her left, which held an oversized, expensive-looking diamond ring.
    "Tino and I are getting married!!"
    For a second, I just stared at her like she was crazy. I mean, who would want to be engaged to that egotistical jerk of a 'detective'? But then, I reminded myself that she truly liked him, so I had to be happy for her. Pretend to be happy, at least.
    "Wow, that's great, Lori!" I said in the most enthusiastic voice I could muster.
    "I KNOW!" she closed her eyes and let out a piercing squeal, making me wince. "I just can't believe it! Well, actually, I can, but you know what I mean."
    I forced a smile and nodded. "Why are you telling me this, but not anyone else?"
    She suddenly got a super-serious look on her face, "Oh, right. You can't breathe a word of this to ANYONE. Not even those Sharkey guys you're friends with." I almost said something, but refrained as she continued. "Since you managed to find Jake's mine using the clues on that letter I gave you, I've decided that you are a totally trustworthy person, Nadine." Oh, yeah. You know that someone REALLY trusts you when they can't even call you by the same name twice in a row. "So I want you to, like, help us prepare. We plan to get married right here on this train!"
    "Um, not to interrupt, but - don't you need a liscense first?"
    Lori scoffed. "Of course not! My daddy already got one for me. Anyway. . "
    The rest of her excited babbling kind of faded in my ears, so I just nodded and gave the occasional "Right", or "Okay".
    When she was finally done, I had absolutely no idea what the last thing she'd said was. "Natalie, are you okay? Why aren't you saying anything?"
    I was just about to respond when she gasped, dramatically covering her mouth with her hand. "You're not one of those people who can, like, fall asleep with their eyes open, are you?"
    I stared at her for a second. "Uuhhh, no."
    "Oh." There was an awkward silence. "Anyway, meet me in the caboose later, and I'll tell you EVERYTHING!" She let out one last squeal and headed towards the back of the train, leaving me bored and confused and weirded out all at the same time.

chapter 3 ;; [by GG]
    I headed back into the now-cold dinning room with my eyes nearly crossed.
    Joe gasped, jumping up to put his arms around me before I sat down. "I think Nancy just fainted with her eyes open, Frank!"
    I blinked as he kneeled and lowered me to the floor, still holding me. "Do you need some water, or something?" Joe asked quietly, cradling my head.
    "No, but I'd like to sit down in my chair like I intended to, Joeseph."
    "Oooh, full name!" Frank gurgled from his chair, scribbling on something.
    I glared at him as I sat down, propping my cheek in my fist. Still starring at him, I pulled out my phone with the spare hand. "Geooorge?" I wavered, trying to keep my voice straight. "Is Bess there?" I watched Joe frantically look through his stack of books on the table.
    "Yeah, what's up, Nancy? It sounds like John Grey pulled a ghost joke on you."
    Rubbing my eyelids, I said carefully, "I think I just helped the worst marriage that should never happen happen."
    "WHAT?" I help the phone away from me ear a little.
    "Well, you see, some one on the train--"
    "LORI?" Bess screamed.
    "SOMEONE, and they were mad at this guy, and--"
    "TINO?"
    "And so now, WHOEVER it is, well, they're getting married.... and now I have to.." I rubbed my eyes again, blinking at a lamp on the wall. Joe had now moved on to searching the floor.
    "Oh my gosh, Nancy Drew, is it you and Frank?" Bess sounded a little hurt, because I knew she and him like liked eachother.
    "EW! Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew NO!" I squealed, leaping out of my chair. Joe gasped, jumped up, and came towards me.
    "Don't move, Nance!"
    "Was that Joe?" George laughed into my ear.
    Joe kept towards me, but, dazed as I was, I backed myself against the wall. He firmly grabbed me by both shoulders and leaned closed to me, squinting.
    "Come on, Joe, now isn't the time!" I moaned. Now, I finally got it as he pinched something in my hair. "GET YOUR STUPID LIZARD OUT OF MY HAIR!" I yelled.
    "Nancy, why is there a lizard in your hair?"
    "But it's not me and Frank, it's...." I thought quickly as Joe examined my hair. "...Charleena." Oops. "I mean, not her, either."
    "So it IS Lori!"
    "Come on Bess. That is not the point. I just want to know why there is a lizard in Nancy's hair." George finally got it out, before putting the phone down to laugh again.

chapter 4 ;; [by Kaitie]
    "It's a long story." I told them, squirming as I felt the creature run up to the top of my head. "EW, get it off!"
    Joe finally lifted the lizard - err, Spike - off of my head and cradled him in his hand, stroking its back.
    "That thing isn't a dog, you know. . ."
    "I know! But lizards are animals, too. Isn't that right, Spike?"
    Spike just stared at him, unmoving for a while. Then he ran up Joe's arm and crawled down his back, and before we could do anything about it, he skittered across the floor of the dining car. "NO! SPIKEY!"
    Joe ran after it, dropping to the ground and scouting the floor for him, but I assumed it didn't go well. When he came back in, he looked as if he were about to cry. "Spike is gone."
    "Again?" Frank commented blankly, not looking up from his notebook.
    Joe sighed and plopped down in the end chair at the table, when I remembered that I had Bess and George on the phone.
    "Oh, guys, I'm sorry! I got totally distracted!" No answer.
    "Hello?"
    . . .
    "Shoot, they must've hung up." I murmured, slipping my phone into the pocket of my jeans.
    When I looked up, the first thing I saw was Joe's defeated expression.
    "Are. . are you okay?"
    He nodded, but didn't say anything.
    "It was a lizard, Joe. You'll probably find him anyway," I said, "I mean, he's obviously trapped between these three rooms."
    Joe's face lit up, just as Frank sighed contentedly. "Finally, I re-wrote all of my notes."
    His brother stared at him. "You remembered all of your notes?"
    "No, I had them written down on this, in case I lost my notebook." He pulled out a small slip of paper and showed it to us, before putting it back in his pocket.
    "If you had it written down there, then why the heck did you need to re-write it all in your journal?"
    "Notebook."
    "Whatever."
    "I like to keep all of my case-related things in one place. . ."
    The brothers' squabbling was quite amusing, but I couldn't stop thinking about. . . you know. Lori? And. . . Tino?
    Yeah. It was just weird. And why did I have to 'help'? What was there to do? I sighed verbally, but neither of the Hardys seemed to have noticed.
    I guess I would find out later.

chapter 5 ;; [by GG]
    I gave Joe a reassuring pat, knowing how disappointment got him down. He looked up from his hands. I smiled faintly. He smiled back, and then craned his neck back a little. I hugged him with one arm, about to give him peck on the cheek.
    "Ew." Frank glared at us. I rolled my eyes, sitting down next to Joe.
    "So, anyways, I didn't find anything in Jake's mine.... I don't know why, but there were only lizards an--"
    Joe started snooping around, crawling on his knees into the room with Charleena.
    I widened my eyes and looked back at Frank. "...and I walked around. There was a cave in train-track thing, and that was it." I held up my hands, resting my elbows against the table. Frank nodded, putting his fingertips together and pressing them together hard. I sat back, crossing my arms.
    "AAAAAUGH! You let go of me, you little..." Frank grinned as Charleena screamed. Or hollered.
    As soon as I ducked my head around the corner, I bit my lip. 'Spike' was scuttering over Charleena's keyboard, and Joe was smashing his hands down all over it. Charleena was swatting at Joe, and yelling. Frank put earplugs in and kept grinning. Wait, where did Frank get earplugs?
    Shaking my head, I watched Charleena slam her laptop closed and weld it, swinging madly at Joe. He backed up, flinging his arms out to grab something, but instead knocked me over backwards. In slow motion, he stepped on Frank's toes and fell over backwards on him.
    "Three sleuth pile up!" I laughed until my shins ached, watching Joe try to get off of Frank, who had his arm flapping about, hitting me in the face a few times. Charleena was red, watching us as we tried to un-wedge from the doorway.
    "Get out of my sight!" Charleena screamed down at Joe. I frowned at her, slapping Frank's arm.
    "Hey, chill out, Charleena! He's a boy that likes his rodents." I tried to stay calm. Really.
    "Reptile." Joe took a deep breath. That was it.
    "Shut UP, Joe! Get out of my sight, too!" I yelled at him, shoving Frank out of the way as I ran to my room in the sleeping car. Once I got in and locked the door, I checked my clothes for any stray reptiles and finally flipped my hair over, combing through it. Satisfied, I quickly changed my clothes and flopped back into my bed. I sighed and took out my phone, calling Bess. I got a busy signal and rolled my eyes, staring at the old ceiling. It was weird, now that all of the options were used up with the mystery. Was Jake's mine nothing at all, just a wild goose chase to distract from it's real location?
    I jerked from my thoughts as my phone vibrated against my hand. Bess.
    "It took you long enough."
    Bess laughed. Joe laughed.
    Wait, what?
    "Uh..." I closed my eyes.
    "Hey Nancy, Joe called me a second ago... he seems pretty upset."
    "Nancy, I'm upset." Joe pouted.
    "Yeah, he's on the other line. Soooo, talk amongst yourselves for a second, I gotta text George real quick." There was a pause as I pressed a finger between my eyebrows.
    "Look, Nancy. I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about Jake Hurley?"
    "No." I frowned as I heard Bess tapping away at something.
    "Okay, back." Bess took a deep breath.
    "Were you, like, bongo-drumming?" Joe asked.
    "Uh..." Bess paused, mumbling something. "Yeah."
    "Cool."
    I couldn't come up with another expression to make, so I just flopped my free hand around on the quilt.

chapter 6 ;; [by Kaitie]
    There was a short while of silence, with no one saying anything; not even Bess.
    "Woooww, you guys. Hostility," she finally spoke up, "Never thought I'd see that from Joe Hardy and Nancy Drew. Or hear it."
    Neither of us said anything.
    Why was I so angry about the stupid reptile? It was really pathetic, actually. I hardly ever get mad about little things like that.
    But if I had to hear the name Spike one more time. . .
    "I never found Spike after the whole Charleena thing." Joe finally said in a monotone voice. I stiffened and breathed deeply. Then I hit the 'off' button.
    Of course, we would eventually go back to how we were before he found. . . the S-word. But when?
    I know I wasn't going to do anything about it. . . yet.
    I all of a sudden heard something in front of my door. It wasn't talking, or knocking, or even footsteps, but I could hear something. I turned to face it, just as an envelope was slipped under the door.
    Ugh, stupid letters.
    Begrudgingly, I forced myself to walk over and pick it up. "Nancy" was written on it in unfamiliar handwriting. My eyebrows came together in confusion as I opened it up and took out the small paper inside.
    "Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Narwhals are endangered
    And so are you"
    I scrunched my nose at the oddness. Narwhals? Why narwhals?
    This person obviously wasn't a poet. And not quite a professional at sending threats.
    Although this was supposed to be a very serious scenario, I bent over and held onto my knees with laughter. What in the world did narwhals have to do with anything?
    After I had finally regained myself, I folded the note back up and hid it under a sweater in my dresser.
    It wasn't the greatest hiding place, but it would have to do for now.
    Now I heard more noises coming from outside of my door, but this time it was voices. Or, should I say, one voice.
    "Camille. . . can you hear me?"
    Hrm, can you guess who?
    There was a while of silence. "Hello? Are you here, Camille?" John Grey must've been fiddling with something, I was assuming some equipment.
    My ear was pressed against the door as I struggled to listen in, hoping he would say something informative. . . not just asking if a ghost was on board.
    For a while it was pretty repetitive, but then he started getting excited.
    "Yes! Yes, you are here! Hello! My name is John!"
    I stared at the door with a 'you-are-insane' look, as though it were John. Wow, he was introducing himself to 'Camille'. This had to be interesting.
    Then, I heard it. It was very soft, and sounding like it was floating through the air. A female voice. "Hello, John. . ."
    John made a little excited noise and did something, but I couldn't tell what. "This is fantastic!"
    That's when I decided to go out and see what was up.
    The hallway stood completely empty, except for John, who had a large box-like thing strapped across his waist. There were tons of buttons and dials and switches on it. "Oh, hi, John."
    "Hey, Nancy! You came at just the right time, listen to this!" He gave me a set of headphones and plugged them in somewhere, pressing a green button.
    The same floaty woman's voice I had heard earlier filled my ears, except this one sounded much louder, so I assumed he had upped the volume level.
    "I ran it through a quick filter and removed the background noise, so you can hear Camille perfectly. Isn't it great?"
    "Wow, that's very interesting," I said, trying my best to sound excited about his work.
    "Eh, you obviously don't care. But that's okay. Ghosts aren't everyone's cup of tea."
    "Um, John. . . are you sure it wasn't just one of the females on the train?"
    He looked horrified. "I'm positive. Did you even hear her voice? Neither Lori nor Charleena could've spoken that way."
    "But they could've -"
    "No buts. That was Camille. Anyway, thanks for the chat, but I've got to get back to work. See ya." I wanted to suggest a voice digsuise device, but I decided against it. Maybe I needed to loosen up a bit about the whole ghost thing. You'd think I'd be loose enough by now, what with being around Joe so much. Anyway, I shook off the thoughts and decided to ask Tino about the whole engagement ordeal.

chapter 7 ;; [by GG]
    The first time I was not glad to be glad to see Joe (or some version of that) happened now.
    "Naaaancy." Joe came up to me slowly, like a person trying to catch a dog. I stood there, with my hands on my hips. Glaring wasn't working lately with Joe, so he finally got close enough to grabbed my shoulders.
    "Don't tell me somethings in my hair, again." I moaned.
    "No, I just wanted to say I'm sorry." Joe gave me a tight hug, throwing his 'cute eyes' on. He gave me a kiss. I kept glaring at him. "And that I totally want to know what your thinking about." In response, I made my face blank and stared into his eyes. The old joke of ours.
    "I know what your thinking about." I said flatly. "You just want to make sure your... whatever... isn't in my hair."
    "Nope." He grinned a little, just barely. "And, are you thinking about Jake Hurley? Probably about the mine, I suppose."
    "Trueee." I said thoughtfully. He kissed me again and I kissed him back. He grinned.
    "And?" He pulled my chin closer to his. I, or course, couldn't talk (if yah know what I mean) but I could tell he didn't give a hoot about Jake Hurley, he just wanted me to quite yelling at him.
    "And..." I finally took a breath. "I found--"
    "A-HA!" Tino's accusing laugh rung in my ear.
    "Uh, excuse us?" Joe didn't bother to move more than an inch away from me, turning his eyes to Tino. It sounds really, like, sickening, I know, but Joe was willing to do anything to get Tino 100 miles away from him. Even getting fake-real annoyed.
    "You little twerp, using a lady to get little secrets and clues." Tino sniffed.
    I turned to him, my whole face expressing 'Uhhhh'. I knew that getting married change you, but this was TINO. I mean...
    "Hey, listen, PAL!" Joe pressed his fist into Tino's shoulder.
    "Uuuuh, Joe..." I had a feeling this wasn't going to end well.
    "I can kiss my girlfriend any dang time I please. And YOU arn't going to tell me what to do, because YOU don't have enough wit..."
    "Uh, Joe."
    "...to get a girl to go on a date with you, man. So just back off."
    I lowered my head a little, praying that this didn't end in a black eye. Oh Lord.
    "Joe?" I finally looked up after a long awkward silence. "Uh, he's--"
    "It's okay, I'll take it from here, Nancy." Tino put on a layer of charm. "Actually, I'm getting married next week. Yeah, jealousy hurts, little man."
    You couldn't have punched Joe harder into the ground than any time from the 'Tom and Jerry' cartoons. But, he laughed. Right in his face.
    "Uh, Joe, we need to go get you a cheeseburger, how does that sound?" I pulled on his elbow. He kept laughing hysterically all the way to the dinning room.

chapter 8 ;; [by Kaitie]
    After we had finally settled at the table with cheeseburgers in front of us, I was about to tell Joe that Tino was telling the truth, when Lori sauntered in dreamily.
    But as soon as she saw us, she gasped. "Nanny, you didn't tell him about me and Tino getting married, did you?"
    I just stared blankly, straight ahead, not letting her calling me Nanny get to me. "No."
    "Good."
    "Wait, you and Tino are getting married?" Joe asked, partly shocked and partly amused.
    Lori gasped again. "How did you know?! See, Nadia, you DID tell him!"
    "No, you did."
    "No, I didn't!"
    "Yes, you did."
    "No, I didn't!"
    "You just said it out loud!"
    She thought for a moment. "Oh. Darn.
    "Well, I guess there are two people in on the secret now! Why don't you go ahead and tell that Fran guy, too? I'm sure he won't tell."
    Joe busted out laughing, for obvious reasons.
    "Erm, his name is Frank. Like, with a 'k'."
    "Whatever!" she thought for a moment. "Actually, never mind. He should be surprised, too. This is going to be totally awesome!" Lori continued gushing, but I wasn't paying much attention. And frankly, I didn't think Joe was either, what with how intently he was staring at/eating his burger.
    I coughed, and Lori stopped mid-sentance to stare at me. "You're not sick, are you?"
    ". . . No. . ."
    "Okay, good. I can't be around any sickos! Especially not a week before my wedding day! OOH, I have to go talk to Tino!"
    She quickly rushed out, leaving us to wonder just what she planned to tell him.
    "That was weird."
    "Who cares about Lori? The fact that Tino was able to find someone to marry is freaking me out." Joe countered, taking another bite.
    "Well, that's still about Lori."
    "True."
    There was a short while of silence while we both ate, before I remembered the terribly-written "threat". "Oh, I forgot to tell you! Just before you met me in the hall, I got this really weird poem. I think it was supposed to be threatening."
    Joe grinned. "What did it say?"
    "I dunno, something about narwhals."
    He just about choked on his food from laughing.
    "What? It's true. I don't really think it was from Charleena, you'd think she would be a bit more sophisticated than that." I was just about to counter myself when Joe spoke up.
    "But, if she were really smart, she would purposely make it sound terrible so you wouldn't suspect her."
    I placed my left hand on his shoulder, "I'm impressed! That's exactly what I was thinking. But I still say we should split up and ask everyone."
    "Ask everyone what?"
    Frank's voice made me jump. Apparently he had just come in from outside.
    "Nancy got a weird threatening poem about narwhals," Joe told him, "So we're going to question everyone about it."
    "Oh. Don't leave me out of the fun! Who's going after who?"
    "Well, I was thinking I could take on Charleena again," I shot a glance at Joe, "And I know Joe isn't going to go anywhere near Tino for a while, so maybe he could go for John or Lori?"
    "I'll take John." He said quickly, scooting his chair back and staring at his already-empty plate.
    "So, Frank, take your pick. Lori or Tino?"
    He groaned. "Why do I get stuck with the annoying ones?" He thought it over for a minute before deciding on Tino, and then we would all three head to the caboose to question Lori. When it comes to a suspect with an extremely low level of intelligence, three heads were always better than one. Or even two.
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN Empty Re: Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN

Post  GrammarShark Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:53 am

Joe here. I was still irked about Tino. What a jerk. I was so glad when Nancy let me go interrogate John. He wasn't so bad, once you got past the 'I Believe in Ghosts' shirt. Really lame, I know, but I had to force myself to keep from looking at it as I approached him.
    "Hey man, what's up?"
    John bobbed his afro and set his headphones down on his mixing board, flipping a switch. "Oh, I'm just checking out this audio I got about 30 minutes ago. I thought it was from Camille. She said hello to me!" At this point he looked like a giddy teen-aged girl at a pop-star's concert. Or even more specific, like Bess at a Switchfoot concert. (Scary)
    "Really?" I tried to look enthusiastic about it, peering at his gadgets. It pretty much looked like Frank's mixing board in his room back home, only without the keyboard.
    "Oh, yeah. Here." He shoved the headphones in my hand. He flipped a few switches and I could hear a float-y type sound. Ew, harp music. Then, slowly a voice got louder. 'Hello... John.' I frowned.
    "Wait, doesn't that sound like Charleena Purcell?"
    John grimly nodded. I took off the 'phones. He leaned closer. "You know, that friend of yours took a listen when I first picked it up, and she said the same thing." Pause. Insert suspicious look from John here. "Wait.. are you playing a prank on me? Is suddenly everyone on the train plotting to make me look like a joke, or something?"
    "I have no idea what you're talking about, man. But that sound like Charleena."
    And he was back to normal John. "Yeah, that's the thing. I've been messing with it, putting it through a good filter and type in the location I was standing in when I heard that. And you know... I could detect the voice-changer wavelenghts in it. You see, when you use a voice-changer, specifically Voice5000," he pointed to a shopping website open on his laptop screen with a big grey box for sale to the tune of $5,000, "the wave lengths of the sounds are exactly the same every time. Same octave. Now, that voice I just played, it sounded pretty monotonous, but if it was coming from a legitimate source--that is, non-digital, it would have had a bit more... variety in crest points." He switched to a screen with a wave-y blue line running across it.
    "Earth speak?" I tried to un-cross my eyes.
    John rolled his eyes and combed a hand through his fro. "Whatever. My point is, when I broke it down enough to realize this, it sounded totally like Charleena."
    "Interesting."
    "Exactly."
    "Sooooo...." I nodded, remembering something. You see, I forget things some times (I.E. Frank's birthday) (or Nancy and I's 2nd anniversary....) and when I remembered, I kinda.... jump a foot in the air. Like right now, when I realized I had to ask John about Narwhals.
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN Empty Re: Tнe Mooи τells иo Liεs ☾ ND+JH Alternate Ending for TRN

Post  GrammarShark Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 am

I was on a ledge of anti-climax as Joe and Frank left the dinning car. Last time I asked Charleena about narwhals, she laughed at me and waved me away. And now I had to ask her again. This day was getting boring, faster.
    And so was the train.
    I peeked around the corner to the wet bar when the locomotive started chugging again. Charleena cast me an exasperated exhale, clutching the counter top for dear, sweet life. "It looks as though our duchess has started on another whim."
    I nodded, reminding my feet how to hold themselves on the ground. "I wonder where we're going?" I kept my fingers wrapped around the thick door trim. I couldn't help but hold on tightly, accidentally digging my thin nails in. I didn't know the wood was so soft. A click was almost audible. No, just imagination.
    "So." I took a deep breath. Keep it original, Nance. "What about Brimstone Canyon? Did you get to go outside?"
    "No. I had just come to the point where my window antagonist finds an explosive. I needed to clear a few scenes after it before I took a break," she looked at her watch, "which starts in 30 seconds. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find my gum drops." She slammed her laptop shut and flipped me a fake smile before leaving the car. Well, goody-goody gum drops! Nancy gets to snoop. I put my finger tips together and surveyed the area. Hmmmmm... a note! I stooped to the floor to pick it up. It was gritty and thin in my hands.

Thomasina O'Neil held no clue from Camille or--

How cliche! The rest was torn. But why would Charleena be looking for clues in Camille's dolls? Was she really trying to solve the mystery, even despite her refusal?
    I tried logging into her computer, but it was locked and needed someone like Frank to unlock. So I peeked over the counter. The carpet in the inside perimeter had little bits of paper all over it. I hurried around to Lori's chair, stepping on the carpet button. The bookcase squeaked open and I got down on my hands and knees to inspect the floor beyond. But then something freaky happened.
    The lights dimmed, came on, and then flickered off. I hit my hand on the back of the bookcase and couldn't move suddenly. Then I realized someone was leaning over me, wrapping their cool hands around my mouth. Oh Lord, not again! I screamed through the gloves, hoping, praying, no no NO!
    "Don't go on from here, or you'll be next to haunt the train." A floaty voice cooed. I was... fading. Slowly. My eyes burned in the sudden icey drafts and my arms couldn't hold my head up anymore. All I could hear now was a buzzing and brutal tugs on my limbs. I don't think I even passed out, not until the voice said one more thing. "Maybe Joe Hardy will join you."
    Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

Post  Beanbag Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Uggh, my head!
    My eyes slowly opened, fuzzy shapes forming in my vision. Wherever I was was very dark; in fact, I could hardly see anything.
    The only means of light was a rainbow-colored beam shooting in from a small stained glass window. . . wait, where have I seen that before? I sat up all the way, rubbing my eyes. When I opened them again I could see more clearly, and I found that I was in Camille's crypt. In Copper Gorge.
    When did we come back here. . . ?
    The last thing I could remember was on the train, which was moving, and being knocked out.
    Maybe Joe Hardy will join you. . .
    My captor's last words sent a cold chill down my spine. I instinctively glanced around the room for Joe, but didn't see him. A strange sense of disappointment and loneliness filled my heart, and I sighed. No, you should be glad he isn't here. You are happy that he is safe and sound on the train.
    I smiled weakly to myself, the thought repeating itself in my mind. Now, to get out of here.
    Spying the door on the opposite side of the crypt, I bounded over to it and jiggled the doorknob.
    "It's locked," I whispered to myself, letting out a dry chuckle at my over-used line. Great, how was I supposed to get out now? There was absolutely nothing in here except for the coffin, the window, the door, and the pillars which I had gotten the rubbings from.
    I went over to the casket and scanned it for clues. I noticed these small, round holes in the lower left corner. There were 6 of them, and each one was a different depth. I circled my fingers around them, wondering what could fit inside. . .
    Aw man, I don't have my bag. I remembered storing the color wheel in one of the larger pouches on my jacket, and the slugs in the pockets of my jeans - wait. The slugs!
    I emptied the metal coins onto the soil, comparing their size to the holes on the coffin. Yes, it was a perfect fit!
    Now just to find which slug goes where. After a few minutes I had them all in place, except for the 7. Hmm, there isn't a hole for this one.
    All of a sudden there was a click, and the drawer where the gemstone had been previously disappeared inside of the casket. Moments later it came back out, this time with a small scrap of paper.
    I picked it up and read its simple - but strange - message,
    Add the only miners in coppergorge
    What the heck? I read and re-read the note, trying to make sense of it. I saw the word 'add', so I guessed that meant to add up how much the slugs were? I did so, and got 30. {10 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 2 + 1 - whew!} But now what? I read the message over again, but nothing came to mind. Although what was up with the random bolded letters? After further examination, I discovered that it was only the first letters of each word - what did that spell? A. . t. . o. . m. . i. .c. . atomic?
    Yes! Each element had an atomic number. . . and different elements were listed on the stained glass window!
    Excitement building up inside of me, I glanced up at the window. What was 30 the atomic number for again? Oh, zinc!
    Zn's colors went purple, yellow, green, red, orange, blue.
    Thank goodness I kept that color dial!
    I took it out of my jacket pocket and inserted it into the shape on Camille's casket. My fingers trembling with anticipation and hope, I turned the colors in that order. Then, I heard a detective's favorite sound in the world - a click.
    With a pounding heart, I ran over to the door and tested it to see if it would open. It did!
    I smiled largely, heading back into the crypt to grab the color dial. I tried to loosen the slugs, but they seemed to be stuck.
    Oh, boy, I thought, I sure hope there aren't any more slug puzzles.
    I picked up the lonely 7, which was lying on the ground, and slipped it into my pocket, walking back up the staircase.
    Just as I stepped out into the fresh air, I saw a movement coming from my left. I quickly turned in that direction, just in time to see something disappear behind the bushes in the distance. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but I tried to shake it off and keep walking. But as I got to the gate, a gloved hand covered my mouth, and the person's arm wrapped around my neck, making it very difficult to breathe.
    "You got away this time, Nancy Drew," they said in a barely audible whisper, so quiet that I couldn't even tell if it were a man or a woman, "But I will get you."
    And they let me go, running off. I turned to see who they were, but I could only make out a figure dressed in black leaping over the gate surrounding the cemetery.
    That was weird, I thought, why didn't they knock me out again? Or try to lock me back in the crypt?
    I shook off the thoughts and opened the gate to the cemetery, heading back for the train, which was parked on the train tracks right down the hill.

--------------------
    I would post this on HeR right now, but I was kind of wanting you to proof-read it first?? Last night I was sort of confused on the whole 'culprit-finding-Nancy' thing.
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:47 am

Ooooh, that was great, Kaitie! I loved how you started the chapter. And as for the culprit thing, it was just an idea I threw out there, and it doesn't matter how you wrote it, because it was your chapter. :-] I do love it, though! The only thing that bugged me was the extra warning the bad guy just gave her. IDK, just seems like... Why would that bother Nancy Drew?

But I just realized, the whole 'my backpack is missing' thing works really well, because when she finds it.. well, you know. And maybe that makes the bland threat okay, because it was just a warning before she finds her backpack. Yeahhhhhh, this chapter is great!

Can't wait to write more, now! But, I'm going to just go make the siggy for Jancy right now.

Annnddd ending this long comment, now. xD
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:41 am

Eh, I have another version of this, that goes in a different direction, but IDK....

I caught sight of Frank, coming out of the train. I pierced out a soft whistle that resembled Yoo-hoo. Kinda sounded like a bird; we used it on our first case together (of course, Joe can't whistle, so he never uses it). Frank gaped at me, catching me in a tight hug. "Nancy Drew, what happened?"
    I took a deep, exhausting breath. "I don't know, exactly. Let's find Joe and I'll tell you both."
    His face shifted. "Yeah..." He started to say something several times. Knowing Frank since I was 13, I could tell he was afraid to say something, and that something would probably hurt me.
    "Frank? What is it? Joe?"
    He nodded at the ground.
    "Oh dear Lord."
    "Hey!"
    I smiled slowly at the ground. "We spoke too soon." Frank added.
    "Oh gosh, Nancy! You're okay!" Joe gave me a huge hug. "Where were you?"
    "I was searching the dining car and I was threatened, knocked out, and woke up in Camille's crypt.
    "Creepy."
    "I know." I sighed.
    "Oh man, I lost--" Joe sputtered, feeling in all of his pockets.
    "What?"
    He looked at me, biting his lip. "I-I-I can't tell you!"
    Frank busted out laughed. "What was it Joe, a diamond ring?" He teased. I blushed and gave him a *cough* gentle wack on the arm.
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 am

It was dusk in Copper Gorge. A big, lighted protector sign lit up in the window of Buell's.
    The rectangular shape of the door to the dinning car was illuminated, a figure stepped through. I was extremely paranoid of every movement, but I kept walking. I couldn't tell if the person had exited the train, but I was about to find out.
    On a whim, I slowly whistled 'Yoooo-hoooo'. The code Frank and I use (Joe can't whistle worth a wooden nickle).
    A long, slow yooo-hooo came back. That was Frank that came out of the dinning car! I grinned, sticking my hands in my pockets, walking across the wooden sidewalk in front of Buell's. I looked inside as I waited for Frank, and let out a soft giggle. Frank touched my arm.
    "Nancy! We've been looking for you and Joe--" I pointed at the large box of taffy in the museum. Joe was picking all of the apple ones. Haha. I put a finger up to my lips, slipping in the door. Frank rolled his eyes and followed me.
    "Hey Fatima, when are you going to have more strawberry?"
    "Just hold on, taffy doesn't pull itself!"
    Joe sighed. "Alright." He tossed the taffy filling his hands on the counter. Then, under his breath, he grumbled. "Taffy doesn't pull itself." He put his arms on the counter. I found this as my chance and wrapped my arms around him in a backwards hug.
    "Hey Taffy Horder!"
    "AH!" Joe squirmed around. "Nancy!"
    "How come everyone says my name like that?" I teased, giving him an exhausted hug.
    "Where were you?" He kissed my hair.
    I laughed. "I'm fine, Taffy Horder, just temporarily kidnapped. I was investigating some bits of paper inside the wet bar on the train. Then, there was this creepy voice telling me to 'stop meddling or else'..."
    Frank snorted.
    "Then I was knocked out. And I woke up in Camille's crypt. I had to take all but one of the slugs, put them in these little round things... voila! It unlocked the door. What really stinks is the fact that my backpack is, in fact, missing."
    "Do you have any idea who it was?" Frank pointed to Jake's chest and Joe started looking at it with him.
    "Nope." I bit my lip. There was no way I could tell them that Joe might be the next to be kidnapped. "Wait... didn't you mention something about Joe being MIA, Frank?"
    "Yeah, I went into our room on the train a few minutes ago, and he wasn't there. Freaked me out, because this note was left on our door." I grabbed the note from Frank.

LEAVE CAMILLE AND JAKE HURLEY ALONE
    STAY AWAY FrOM ThE TRAIN OR YoU'LL BE NEXT TO GO!

"I'm sorry I didn't check with you, mom." Joe joked. "Oh man, I lost--" He sputtered, feeling in all of his pockets.
    "What?"
    He looked at me, biting his lip. "I-I..I can't tell you!"
    Frank busted out laughed. "What was it Joe, a diamond ring?" He teased. I blushed and gave him a *cough* gentle whack on the arm. Fraaank. I rolled my eyes.
    "Was it Spike, again?"
    Joe shrugged, looking around nervously.
    "Jooooooe!"
    He sighed. "I thought you never wanted to hear his name again."
    "I don't care, I guess. But if he's missing, I think it might be a bit hard to find-- Oh my gosh! Look!" I stepped over to the glass box with the gears. "He's in this glass box!"
    Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

Post  Beanbag Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am

Suddenly the gears started turning.
    "OH MY GOOOSH!" Joe yelled, pressing his hands on either side of the glass, "SPIIII-" he paused, looking at me, "-nal cord?"
    Despite the traumatic moment, I laughed, "I told you I don't care."
    Joe's gaze returned to the lizard who was frantically riding the gears like a gerbil wheel. "SPIIIKE!"
    Frank rolled his eyes.
    "Y'all folks okay out ther?" Fatima's voice came from the taffy room.
    "UHH- ARE THESE GEARS CONNECTED TO THE TAFFY MACHINE?"
    "Yeah, why'do ya ask?"
    My eyes widened. "Oh man."
    Frank spoke up, "Fatima, could you kindly stop the machine?"
    "Can't! It runs the taffy puller!"
    I groaned, "We don't need taffy anymore!"
    Apparently Fatima didn't hear me.
    "It's okay, Spikey! I'll get you out of there!. . . Somehow!. . . Buddy. . .!"
    Joe looked around, spotting a tiny hole on the top. "I may have to break this!!"
    "JOE! It's a lizard!"
    "No, THIS IS SPIKE!"
    I tried to keep myself calm as Frank stalked over to the door to the back room.
    "WHAT'RE YOU DOIN BACK HERE? GIT BACK OUT THER!"
    "Well sorry, but my brother's about to have a heart attack if you don't turn off that machine!"
    "Fer goodness sakes, y'all're drivin' me nuts!"
    I couldn't hear past that in their conversation, so I turned my attention back to Joe. And Spike, who apparently had leapt onto a smaller wheel and was having to run much faster now.
    "HOW'RE WE GONNA GET HIM OUTTA THERE?????!"
    Spike was starting to slide in between two gears, and as if on cue, they all started slowing down. Slower, and slower, and slower. .
    Finally they came to a complete stop, and the lizard was left confused. He scurried across the gears and crawled up the wall, finally coming up out of the hole.
    Joe's face instantly brightened, as he scooped up the little guy in his hands. "Spike! You're okay!"
    I couldn't help but giggle at the childlike-ness of Joe's expression, and for once, I felt a little glad that Spike was still around. Frank emerged from the back room triumphantly, with Fatima yelling angrily in the background.
    "What happened?" I asked.
    He crossed his arms in front of his chest for no apparent reason, "I found an emergency switch in the back of the machine and turned it off."
    My gaze turned to the door to the taffy room, "Fatima doesn't sound too happy about it. . ."
    At that moment, the costumed store. . owner. . came out. "Now wha'd ya do that for?!"
    "Joe's pet lizard was stuck in the gear box."
    Fatima's giant right eyeball rolled around, "Well now, why didn't ya tell me? I woulda shut it off in a heartbeat!"
    I sighed. "Well, thanks anyway, Fatima. We'll be going now."
    "Alrighty then. Bye-bye!"
    With that, we exited the museum, the little bell ringing as we did.
    Joe stroked his pet lizard's back lovingly, "It's okay, Spike. You're safe now." he glanced back at the store with a narrow-eyed, angry expression, "I'm never eating taffy again."
    Frank laughed. "I wouldn't think so."
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:30 am

I noticed another train had pulled up next to Lori's. It wasn't as elaborate as the old one. A few people were going back inside. Frank touched my elbow and pointed behind me to The Copper Fork. It was brimming with people, and I realized that I was so focused on the person in black that I didn't let the strong smell of burgers arouse my hunger. Joe made eye contact with me and grinned.
    As we entered The Copper Fork, I saw Joe putting Spike back in his pocket.
    "Don't you have a cage for him, yet?"
    "Naw, I tried to ask John for some stuff to make one, since he has a ton of tools and supplies, but he wouldn't give me any."
    "Pffft!" Frank smirked. "That's because you ignored every word he said and made a comment about ghosts being stupid."
    "Did not! I listened, I just had no clue what he was talking about--except," he leaned against the door frame, keeping an eye on the line. "He thinks the 'Camille talking to him in the hallway' thing was really Charleena."
    "Huh."
    "Yeah, something about voice wavelengths. I never got a chance to tell you, because you went missing."
    "Right, that's the thing..."
    "Fancy! I've been looking EVERYWHERE for you!"
    I winced as Lori shrieked in my ear, clutching my arm. I really didn't want to talk about weddings and Tino right now. Joe ignored my 'help' face and went to go bug the waitress. Thankfully, Frank was felling less Lori-Girard-fobia. Good old Frank.

Lori screekled again, bounding out of the restaurant like a deer. I rolled my eyes.
    "Come on, guys!" Joe whined, suddenly pulling on my elbow. We went over to the only clear table, and Joe slid a menu in front of me.
    "So anyways, the only slug I have now is number 7." I dropped the coin thingy in Frank's hand, taking a sip from the can of soda Joe had handed me.
    "Interesting..." He rubbed the face of it, deep in thought.
    "Please." Charleena was at my arm, pleading. "Do something so that John Grey the ghost hunter leaves me alone!"

Last edited by StableTypewriter on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:45 am; edited 4 times in total
    DolphinSinger
    DolphinSinger

Post  DolphinSinger Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:08 am

Awesome chapter GG!
    Ugh...Lori. *Rolls eyes* Lol!
    CS!
    -Kate
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:49 am

Another train steamed next to Jake Hurley's, passengers popping in and out of the exits. The two black trains were shadows against the unlit night sky and musty brown foothills. I stared like a little kid, trying to see. Joe pulled me into The Copper Fork as I considered the locomotive. I don't know, I just had a weird feeling something was going to happen tonight. I prayed about it and let my mind move on to food. Joe shoved a menu in my hand and led us to the only empty seat in the restaurant. As Frank and Joe argued about ordering the (possibly) moldy lettuce or not, I looked around the dining room. Tino and John were sitting on the other side of the room, arguing in low tones. Even above the din, I could tell they were whispering and angry because of the way they were leaning over the counter, their faces contorted. And then I caught sight of Lori. She jumped a little with extreme hyperness when she saw me, and I knew she was squealing. She rushed over to our table, but I tried to hide my head behind the menu in my hands.
    "Fancy, you've got to see this!" Without waiting for me to respond, she dragged me out of my chair and over to her table. "Look!" She pointed to a box she had left on her table, starting to unwrap jewelry from little balls of tissue paper. I tuned her out, completely not interested at all. She went ON and on, until she finally just gave up and made me go away. "You're obviously not interested in swarvousky. I'm dissapointed, Nancy."
    I shrugged and walked back to the table, hoping Frank and Joe ordered for me. But food soon left my mind, when I came around the table behind Joe.
    "ATAC really thinks this will be serious, but they wont say anything to me, because it's 'our mission'. Blah, whatever."
    What the heck?
    "Who is 'ATAC'?" I sank into my chair, getting an uneasy feeling.
    Joe tried to pretend I didn't say that, putting a hand over his heart. "Whoa, you scared me Nance!" Frank looked uneasy.
    "Seriously, what's going on?" I pressed, looking from brother to brother.
    Joe looked at Frank, who in turn shrugged. "Hey... I think they just called our order, I'll go get it and bring it out to the train..." He got up, carefully folding his wrinkled jacket. I continued to question Joe, but he just pulled me out of the Copper Fork. I looked back in the door as we left, spotting Lori again. It suddenly occured to me that Lori called me Nancy for the first time ever.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:42 am