Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Trixie Belden fan forums! :)

+2
xrtyz200
Beanbag
6 posters

HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.}

Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.} Empty HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.}

Post  Beanbag Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:29 am

Chapter One

.....¸•´¨¯¨`•¸........¸•´¯`• ♣
    (....`•-•*.......¸•´........
    ....`•.,¸__¸,.•´...hau......

D arkness. That was all I could see as I stepped into the ratty old bog hut.
    Strange, I mused silently, There was lantern here last time.
    As I stepped towards the dark shape of the table, I discovered that the lantern was, indeed, missing. I shook off the thoughts and felt around for the box.
    The box that I hoped would contain the answer to my mystery; well, one of them, anyway. My fingers finally found the cool wooden edge of the box, but a quick realization made me freeze in place. The mystery I was trying to solve wasn't just about who kidnapped Matt Simmons - I was also on a quest to discover what happened to Brendan Malloy. Was he really a traitor like all evidence suggested? Or was he merely misunderstood? Whatever had happened, I couldn't think of that now.
    I turned my attention back to the intricately-designed box, reaching into my bag to find the key. The key had to belong to this, for the design on it was exactly the same.
    I sucked in a deep breath and inserted the key, turned it counter-clockwise. . . click!
    That's what I liked to hear. A small smile formed on my lips as I slowly lifted the lid, peering inside. What was that object? I could see something inside of the box, but it wasn't a note, or a journal, or anything I had expected to see. It was a strange shape that I couldn't quite make out in the darkness. Just as I started to reach in to grab it, I heard something. My head instantly whirled around to face the door, and I listened to see if I heard it again.
    Crunch.
    Footsteps! Someone was coming! I frantically searched for somewhere - anywhere - that I could safely and easily hide. Quickly I lunged underneath the orange-quilted bed and laid perfectly still, just as the door to the hut flew open. I heard the flapping of wings, and knew in an instant that it must be the crow I had encountered multiple times. There was a grunt, and shuffling feet walked by in front of me, causing me to shrink back a bit.
    After they had passed, I leaned forward just a bit and listened.
    "Caw!"
    Grunt. The sound of someone fiddling with one of the metal cages filled my ears, along with the quiet movements of the crow.
    The person walked back to the bed as if to leave, giving me a glance at the bottom of their - dress? Then, it dawned on me - it was the 'banshee'!
    She turned back around and shuffled over to the table, stopping in front of it. Everything went silent.
    Shoot! I forgot to close the box!
    I buried my head in my arms, scolding myself for not even taking the key out.
    Next thing I knew, the 'banshee' was back at the door. She demanded in a deep, scratchy voice, "Stay."
    Once I heard the door close, I counted to 10 to make sure she wasn't coming back.
    After I had determined that the coast was clear - for now - I crawled out from underneath the bed. The second I was in sight, the crow started frantically cawing from one of the cages.
    "Caw! Caw! Caw!"
    "Sssh!" I shushed it, putting my finger up to my lips. I cast a glance at the door, hoping they didn't have some kind of crow-caws-and-owner-comes-running trick.
    Suddenly remembering what I was here for, I bound over to the table and groaned. Yes, the banshee had taken the box with her.
    Well, isn't that just peachy.
    The crow had finally relaxed, so I walked over to its cage.
    "Hey, little guy," I said quietly, reaching my finger up to the metal bars, "You wouldn't by any chance be able to tell me who your owner is, would you?" I laughed dryly as the crow just stared inquisitively at me.
    He then cocked his head to the side, and turned it to the table, as if telling me to look at it. Slowly I dropped my finger and turned around, realizing for the first time that the banshee had returned the lantern to its place on the table. I looked back at the bird, who was watching me with an confident twinkle in his beady eyes.
    There on the plank of wood where the box had once been, I could see a small latch. Almost as if to ask, 'is this what you mean?' I looked to the crow, who was still watching me intently. I ran my finger down the plank until I reached the stand that the sheep doll used to sit atop. I shifted it over and found where the plank ended.
    Going back over to where the latch was, I slipped my finger underneath it and tugged upwards. The entire plank lifted, revealing a small compartment. Inside was a photo of. . Fiona? Yes, it was Fiona Malloy alright - it matched the little girl from that picture in the tower room perfectly. The photo did not have a frame and was colored with age; it showed a smiling, content 6-year-old girl strapped to a jetpack.
    I spared another glance at the crow, this time longer, and flipped the picture onto its backside.
    'Fiona, my dear; you will find the next one in blue.'
    "What could that mean?" I wondered aloud, slipping the photo into my bag.
    "Caw!"The bird called, flapping its wings. It was still staring at the compartment, so I looked inside again. Just barely noticeable, there was a small scrap of paper at the bottom. I picked it up and examined it. It was part of a doll arrangement sheet! It only showed the cat doll with a blue line below it, so I assumed that I was going to have to find the rest on my own. The crow was now relaxed, no longer staring me down. It just sat calmly in his cage, looking around the small room. "You sure are an intelligent bird."
    He glanced at me for a split second, and if I didn't know any better, I would've said that he smiled at me.

♣♣♣
    Ignore the ugliness, it looks better on HeR. {and it actually has color. . .}

Last edited by kw_drewfan on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    xrtyz200
    xrtyz200
    Admin

HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.} Empty Re: HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.}

Post  xrtyz200 Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 am

Ooooh I really love it so far! You better continue it on here as you do on HER, that's all I gotta say! You always write so good kaitie, and when you do nancy drew its how i think of nancy drew! :)

Swyl!
    ~Tyz
    GrammarShark
    Admin

HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.} Empty Re: HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.}

Post  GrammarShark Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 am

Oh, amazing! I can't wait to read more and see the mysterious plot... UNTWIST. HAU AE that doesn't have a name. {yet.} 552600
    Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

Post  Beanbag Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 am

Chapter Two
    (....`•-•*......¸•´........
    "G reat," I mumbled, frustratedly messing with my jetpack. "It must be out of fuel."
    The small contraption refused to turn on; no matter how many times I pressed the 'Go' button. I gave it one last smack with the palm of my hand, but alas, it still did not start up. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
    So I walked back to the castle, carrying my non-cooperative jetpack the whole way there. Once I got to the front doors, I slipped it into my bag and went inside. The first thing I noticed was the pleasantly warm burst of air from the fireplace. Goosebumps appeared on my arms from the sudden change of climate, and I brought my hands up to rub them. The second thing I noticed was that Kit was not by his cot. Hmm, I wonder where he went.
    I simply ignored his absence and plodded upstairs, heading for the library. Kyler looked up the second I entered. "Have you found anything?"
    I explained how I found the box, but didn't get to look inside because someone - I didn't mention my 'banshee' theory - took it with them.
    "Oh my, that isn't good," she said solemnly, "I wonder who the person was?"
    "I - well, I don't know for sure yet. But I do know that I'm beat. It's been a long day - or, night."
    She gave me a tight grin, "Yes, it's one in the morning." she informed me, looking out the large window, "I don't think I can sleep, though."
    I didn't bother nosying any further; she clearly didn't need the interrogation. So instead, I got tucked under the green, Scotch-tape-resembling blankets of my cot.
    "Goodnight," I called, allowing my eyes to slowly drift closed.
    "Goodnight."

♣♣♣ .. ♣♣♣ .. ♣♣♣

Mornings at Castle Malloy were incredibly peaceful; much more peaceful than I had expected.
    My sleepy eyes opened, immediately noticing the beautiful ray of sunshine pouring in through the window. I gave myself a couple of minutes to just gaze around the quaint little library and relax before getting up.
    After I finally did, though, I got dressed quickly and went downstairs. The Great Hall was completely empty, and all of the cots were neatly made up. I slowly went the rest of the way down the staircase and looked around for any sign of human habitation. Needless to say, I got nothing.
    "Hello?" My voice croaked, still filled with sleep. I cleared my throat, noticing for the first time a note attached to the large double doors. I bounded over to it, unsticking the piece of tape holding it to the wood.
    Nancy -
    Sorry to leave you like this so early in the morning, but Kit and I have headed out to the Screaming Banshee Inn for breakfast. (as you can see, Castle Malloy doesn't exactly have a kitchen!) Feel free to join us at any time!
    - Kyler

Ahh, that cleared up the whole eating situation. I went back upstairs and put on a pair of tennis shoes, then went out to the Inn.
    It didn't take long to spot Kyler and Kit, sitting silently in a booth. They both looked somewhat sullen, and I could tell that their current situation was awkward. So I waved to them as I walked over to them.
    When Kyler looked up and saw me, her face instantly brightened and she waved back, patting the seat next to her. I smiled and sat down, looking over a menu.
    After only a few minutes, Seamus appeared at our table.
    "Ahh, well if it isn't my young mix maid!" He said brightly, his Irish accent seeping through every word.
    I gave him my order, and Kyler said she and Kit had already eaten.
    "I'm very pleased that you decided to come, Nancy." Kyler said with a smile, taking a sip of her beverage. There was a bit of small talk for a while, but after my food arrived it became painfully quiet. Neither Kyler nor Kit said one word to each other the entire time.
    "You two can go if you want," I offered, not wishing to hold them up.
    "Oh, no, I'm fine." Kyler declined kindly. Her warm smile faded just a bit when she looked to the only male at the table, "Kit?"
    He looked up from the ground at the sound of his name, an almost eager expression on his face. "What?"
    Kyler frowned, "Were you not listening? I was asking if you wanted to go."
    "Oh, right. Yeah, I think I will. Sorry." He gave a small nod, getting up and walking out.
    Oh, shoot! I forgot to ask him where he was last night! Oh, well. I could ask him later.
    "So, Nancy. What do you plan to do first today?"
    Her question caught me off guard, for I actually wasn't sure what to do first. "Well, I. . . I'm actually not sure."
    She looked a bit disappointed. "Are you sure? Do you not have any leads?"
    "Not really. None that make sense, anyway." I chuckled dryly, thinking of the message scrawled on the back of the photo of Fiona.
    "Well. . . maybe you could explore some more? Surely there's something somewhere that you haven't seen." She suggested.
    "Thanks, but that's what I've been telling myself all morning." I smiled weakly.
    She sighed. "Well, I should really get back to the castle. . ."
    I let her out of the booth and watched her leave, going over everything I already knew. I tried to remember everything that had happened in the hut last night as I ate.
    Getting the box open. . . 'the banshee' showing up. . . hiding under the bed. . . the crow. . . Fiona's picture. . .
    In that moment, something clicked. That particular sparkle in his eye, the all-around intelligence of the creature, he seemed to understand what I was saying. And after I asked who his owner was, he led me to the picture of Fiona! Was Fiona Malloy really his owner? Did she actually survive the explosion?
    Stop it, Drew, I scolded myself, You're coming to conclusions.Not to mention the fact that I coming to those conclusions because of a bird.
    Man, I'm really losing it.

♣♣♣
    Eh, I don't like this chapter as much as the first. Oh, well. Thank you guys x1000000 for the compliments :)
    GrammarShark
    Admin

Post  GrammarShark Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 am

go on
    xrtyz200
    xrtyz200
    Admin

Post  xrtyz200 Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:07 am

I'm still loving it. . .Please go on!
    Swyl!
    ~Tyz
    DolphinSinger
    DolphinSinger

Post  DolphinSinger Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am

Kaitie!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE THIS AE!
    I am sorry it's taken me 2 days (or something like that) to get here! Razz
    I just finished reading it with my cat, Buddy. He liked it too. Lol!
    I want to hear more! It is SO good!
    Keep going!
    *Hugs!*
    Love,
    Katesta
    Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

Post  Beanbag Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Chapter Three
    (....`•-•*......¸•´........

S eamus roped me into helping him mix a few drinks, but I was soon on my way back to the castle again. Kit was back on his cot, drawing away on his notepad. Guess I should ask him where he was last night.
    Upon my arrival, he looked up at me. "Hey."
    I nodded hello and proceeded to ask, "Where were you last night? When I got back to the castle, you weren't here."
    "Does that really matter?"
    "Yes," I said, "I'm curious."
    "I was just. . taking a walk, that's all. You see, that's what we all do here when we have nothing else to do. We take walks. So. . . yeah." The quickness of his voice caught my attention. Detective Tip #49: Suspects sometimes act flighty when not telling the complete truth.
    "I see," I responded, not wanting to make him uncomfortable.
    "So, is that all?"
    He picked up his notebook as if expecting me to say yes, so I did. Then he went back to doodling.
    Wondering what to do now, I slowly went over to the fireplace and sat criss-cross in front of it, feeling the warmth on my skin. Not realizing I had closed them in the first place, I opened my eyes, which landed on the old picture of Kit and Kyler. Glancing in Kit's direction to make sure he wasn't watching, I scooted closer to the fire and picked up the photo. The couple looked so happy there, so young, so content. Like everything was right in their lives. And most importantly, they looked so glad to be together. Such a far cry from how they were now.
    It was kind of sad to think about, so I placed it back on the ground where it was. Realizing that I was getting sweaty from being so close to the fire, I scooted away and stood up. After a bit of wondering what to do, I decided to go over my case notes somewhere private. Almost immediately I decided on the nursery, since every other room in the castle was inhabited by someone. {Except for the tower room, which I couldn't fly up to anymore. Grr.}
    After settling myself on the pink bed of the nursery, I pulled out my detective notebook and flipped through it, hoping some kind of inspiration would spark.
    And, thankfully, it did. I saw my note about Fiona's picture and the strange message on the back, so I felt compelled to get out the picture.
    Aw, man, I left my bag in the library.
    I begrudgingly got up and retrieved my bag from the library, catching Kyler's attention while I was at it.
    "Nancy! Good news!" She looked the happiest I'd seen her in my entire trip.
    "What? What's good news?"
    "I found this on top of my cot this morning," she said, showing me a yellowed piece of paper. I read it.
    matthew is within your reach, but you still haven't found him yet. and don't bother trying anymore, either. if you get to him before i say so, then you can kiss your fiancé goodbye.
    It had been typed on a typewriter, so as to not give their handwriting away.
    "A threat note - is good?"
    "No, of course not, but it just proves that I was right all along! Matt is somewhere nearby!" her excited expression suddenly grew somber as she rested her eyes upon the oakwood table, "But it also means that he may very well be in danger."
    "Don't worry, Kyler," I comforted my friend, "I will find him, and he won't be dead."
    Her eyes widened in fright as I realized that I had said the wrong thing.
    "Oh, I mean - well, you know what I mean."
    "I understand," she said softly. "But, please hurry."
    Without allowing me another word, she went back to her book, and I went back to the nursery. {this time with my bag!}
    I fished through my bag for a bit before finding the picture, tucked neatly into a side pocket. I read the message on the back, and that's when it clicked.
    'The next one is in blue. . . blue. . bleu.'
    My head snapped up to look at the book entitled 'Le LAPIN Bleu'. I got up from the bed and walked over to it, trying to open it up. But it wouldn't budge! It took me a few minutes to realize that it was one of those books that simply open from the center and have a compartment inside. And sure enough, there inside of the compartment, was another picture of Fiona, along with a scrap for the doll house puzzle. I brought out the photo and examined it for a minute. She looked to be about 4, and was wearing a pretty flowered dress. Her almost-black eyes sparkled, and she was smiling blissfully. She really was a sweet little girl.
    I flipped the picture over and read the message on the back.
    My dear Fiona, the next one is your only photo I was able to frame.
    Hmm, so the next one must be in a frame. I slipped the photo next to the first one in my bag and picked up the doll house scrap. This piece was somewhat bigger than the first. I found the first one in the same compartment as the photos, and laid it on the bed with the other. Yes, the second one was much bigger.
    The two pieces fit together, showing the cat doll above something, the boy doll directly left of a knight, and the redheaded doll above something in any direction.

♣♣♣
    AH Kate, you are too sweet :) Thank you guys so much! {and riding on flamingos laughing, GG xEDD}
    gabbers
    gabbers

Post  gabbers Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:16 pm

go on! i usually don't like AEs, but I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE! SO MAKE MORE!XD
    Beanbag
    Beanbag
    Admin

Post  Beanbag Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am

Chapter Four

(....`•-•*.....¸•´......

My mind went back to the threat note that Kyler had shown me. So apparently she wasn't crazy, and Matt really was here somewhere. But, where? I thought I had searched the entire castle grounds, but apparently I hadn't. Thoughts of the missing groom made me realize something; I was spending all of my time trying to find out the truth about Brendan, and not even searching for Matt anymore! Though as urgent as the kidnapping situation was, I couldn't help but be intrigued by Brendan's bizarre scavenger hunt. And his whole backstory; rumored to be passing on top-secret information to the Axis, labeled a traitor and a liar by everyone he once trusted. . . it was just too thought-provoking to forget about.
    Well, Nancy, you could do a better job at balancing the two.
    I shook off the thoughts and decided to search for clues concerning Matt's disappearance. Besides, that was what Kyler was counting on me to do.
    I headed down the stairs, but stopped about halfway down. Okay, so I had decided what to do. . . now the question was, where to do it? I let out a groan and finished down the staircase, almost being blinded by the bright Ireland sunshine streaming in. I blinked many times, trying to get my eyes to adjust, and went outside. The warm, breezy air was quite a change from last night. It was surprising how cold it got here in late May.
    Late May. . . suddenly I was reminded that it was the 30th, only 2 days before the wedding. Even with the seemingly long days in Ireland, that still wasn't very much time. I sighed.
    Since I wasn't sure where to look for clues, I decided to talk to Donal Delaney, for I hadn't talked to him in a while. Maybe he knew something.
    It was doubtful, but you never know.
    As I reached the bridge, I saw that Donal was doing something by the entry arch to the castle. Oh, that's right! I had almost forgotten that he stayed here during the day. He looked up as I approached, but said nothing until I had tapped him on the shoulder.
    "What ya be needin', lass?"
    I looked down at the hole he had apparently been digging, "Well, for one thing, I'm curious as to why you're digging a hole out here."
    He followed my gaze to the ground, resting his arm on top of the shovel that was stuck into the soil. "Why, I was plantin' more flowers. These old gates have had nothin' but weeds an' vines for so long, I've forgotten what they even looked like in Brendan's time."
    I gazed at the tall arch, noticing for the first time the weeds that were slowly crawling their way up the sides. "Were you the caretaker back when Brendan lived here?"
    "Aye, back when I still had youth on my side. I was just about your age."
    "Did you know Brendan well?"
    He shook his head. "That I did not. Still to this day I wonder where he spent his time. He never seemed to be around."
    I decided to change the subject.
    "So, have you ever been into the tower room? You know, the one past the blown staircase?"
    "Aye, back when I was a young man. Used to be Brendan and Caitlin's bedroom, it did. They kept all of their beloved things in a rolltop desk, I remember. Books, letters. Pictures."
    At that moment, everything around me seemed to blur.
    'The only picture of yours I ever got to frame. .'
    The picture in the rolltop! It had a frame around it; that must be the third one! But, I had no way to get to it anymore. . .
    "Are ya okay, lass? You be lookin' a bit pale."
    "I'm sorry Mr. Delaney, I have to go. I need to find a way into that tower room." I briskly walked away and over the bridge, leaving Donal confused and alone. Stupid jetpack! Why did you have to break down?
    How would I get up there now? Obviously the staircase was no longer there, and I couldn't fly up without my jetpack. I sighed in frustration and pushed open the heavy doors to the castle, stepping inside. There I go again, focusing on Brendan's picture hunt.
    Kyler would probably be disappointed in me if she knew that I was more concerned about the clues that her great uncle left behind than finding her missing fiancé. No, I decided, No more Brendan. I have to turn all of my attention towards finding Matt and making sure he returns safely.
    But at least I had a lead on Brendan's story; I didn't even have a lick of evidence on Matt! I sighed and went up to the library, surprised to find that Kyler was not there.
    If Kit was right, then she probably went on a walk.
    Just then I noticed something on top of the pillow on my cot. A note?
    Yes, it was a note! A feeling of dread formed in the pit of my stomach as I neared it, seeing that it looked just like the threat that Kyler had received.
    It was typed out as the other one was, but its message was a bit shorter:
    go out to the island on the water. there is something there to help you. do it if you want to see matt again.

♣♣♣
    Thank you so much, Bria!! :)
    TheBookNut
    TheBookNut

Post  TheBookNut Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 am

Hey, Kaitie! Wow, I'm really late. Sorry, dear. I've been keeping an eye on this AE for quite a while, but not until now have I had a chance to post. And WOW! Kaitie, this is amazing! It's been such a long time since I've played HAU (sadly, it won't work on my computer anymore).

So Donal knew Brendan? Well, not to be mean or anything, but he is old. I loved Donal though! With his talk of fairies and the Good People in his Irish accent. *sighs* I want to play this game again soooo bad!

I wonder what those pictures lead to? Fantastic idea, Kaitie! I would've never thought of the pictures leading to something. Nancy, maybe if you keep on searching for Brendan's secrets you'll find Matt. Ever think of that? She's gotta keep busy when she has no leads on Matt and I don't think she wants to take a walk like Kit (I don't buy his little "when I'm bored I take a walk" story).

Hmmm . . . Kyler's gone and there's a note just resting right on Nancy's cot. Is it just me or does that throw more suspicion at Kyler? She is always in the library "reading," you know.

Um, one little problem Mr. (or Mrs.) Note Person. How can Nancy get out to the island if she has no jet pack? Obviously, this criminal doesn't know much about Nancy. And aren't criminals suppose to know everything and anything about the person who's trying to bring them down? Or is that just me?

I'm rambling now so I shall say good-bye and continue soon. This is sooo good, Kaitie! I hope you plan on continuing! And I didn't know this was on HeR! I'll have to check it out now. Grin Love you! God Bless, dear!

Sammy YEAH!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:27 pm